Consciousness, Emergence, Intentionality, Searle, Reason Atop The Irrational, And Naturalism’s Egregious Deficiency
Consciousness And Emergence And Formation by David Bentley Hart https://metachristianity.blogspot.com/2020/01/consciousness-and-emergence-and-formation.html
Intentionality, Mental States, Searle, Networks, and Causal Backgrounds https://metachristianity.blogspot.com/2020/01/intentionality-mental-states-searle.html
Reason Itself: The Parasite Upon Irrational Physical Events & The Colony of Memes In the Ecology of Cerebral Cortices https://metachristianity.blogspot.com/2020/01/reason-itself-the-parasite-upon-irrational.html
The Most Egregious of Naturalism’s Deficiencies https://metachristianity.blogspot.com/2020/01/most-egregious-of-naturalisms-deficiencies.html
Total Rationalism, Total Intelligibility, And Perfect Bliss https://metachristianity.blogspot.com/2021/09/total-rationalism-total-intelligibility-perfect-bliss.html
The Illusionist ~ On Daniel Dennett’s From Bacteria to Bach and Back ~The Evolution of Minds ~ By David Bentley Hart https://metachristianity.com/the-illusionist-on-daniel-dennetts-from-bacteria-to-bach-and-back-the-evolution-of-minds-by-david-bentley-hart/
The Unity Of Mind Is The Unity Of Being Even As The Irreducibility Of Mind Is The Irreducibility Of Being – By David Bentley Hart https://metachristianity.com/the-unity-of-mind-is-the-unity-of-being-even-as-the-irreducibility-of-mind-is-the-irreducibility-of-being-by-david-bentley-hart/
Consciousness In Unity, Irreducibility, Indivisibility, And In Being https://metachristianity.com/consciousness-in-unity-irreducibility-indivisibility-and-in-being
The following is from “Conjuring Teleology” at https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2016/03/conjuring-teleology.html
“….Hence to write many paragraphs about the scientific banishment of teleology from everywhere else in nature while insisting that teleology is real in the case of human beings, and then casually to insinuate that the history of that banishment gives hope that someday a scientific explanation of the teleology of human consciousness will also be possible… to do that is something of a conjuring trick, a bit of sleight of hand….”
Philosophy of Mind:
- Consciousness, Emergence, Intentionality, Searle, Reason Atop The Irrational, And Naturalism’s Egregious Deficiency at https://metachristianity.com/consciousness-emergence-intentionality-searle-reason-atop-the-irrational/
- Theology and The Analytic A-Posteriori at https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2020/06/theology-and-analytic-posteriori.html
- The Particle Collection That Fancied Itself A Physicist https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2020/08/the-particle-collection-that-fancied.html
- Post Intentional Depression https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2015/01/post-intentional-depression.html
- Rosenberg VIII http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2012/03/reading-rosenberg-part-viii.html
- Rosenberg IX http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2012/04/reading-rosenberg-part-ix.html
- Rosenberg X http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2012/04/reading-rosenberg-part-x.html
- Eliminativism 1 http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2013/08/eliminativism-without-truth-part-i.html
- Eliminativism 2 http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2013/08/eliminativism-without-truth-part-ii.html
- Eliminativism 3 http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2013/08/eliminativism-without-truth-part-iii.html
- Mad Dogs And Eliminativists http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2013/08/mad-dogs-and-eliminativists.html
- Churchland 1 http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2009/12/churchland-on-dualism-part-i.html
- Churchland 2 http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2009/12/churchland-on-dualism-part-ii.html
- Churchland 3 http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2009/12/churchland-on-dualism-part-iii.html
- Churchland 4 http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2010/06/churchland-on-dualism-part-iv.html
- Churchland 5 http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2013/09/churchland-on-dualism-part-v.html
- Kripke, Ross, and the Immaterial Aspects of Thought – at https://www.newdualism.org/papers/E.Feser/Feser-acpq_2013.pdf
- Animals Are Conscious. In Other News, The Sky Is Blue – at https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2012/08/animals-are-conscious-in-other-news-sky.html
- Against Neurobabble – at https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2011/01/against-neurobabble.html
- Other Minds & Modern Philosophy — https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2020/07/other-minds-and-modern-philosophy.html
- On Intuitions by E. Feser at https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2010/07/on-intuitions.html
- Unintuitive Metaphysics by E. Feser at https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2015/08/unintuitive-metaphysics.html
- Objective & Subjective https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2012/09/objective-and-subjective.html
- Context of Discovering vs. Context of Justifying https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2013/05/context-isnt-everything.html
- Make-Believe Matter by E. Feser https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2021/09/make-believe-matter.html
- “The Mind-Body Problem and Metaphysics (Routledge Studies in Contemporary Philosophy)” —by Ralph Stefan Weir ~ Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Mind-Body-Metaphysics-Routledge-Contemporary-Philosophy/dp/1032457686/
- The Substance of Consciousness: A Comprehensive Defense of Contemporary Substance Dualism —by Brandon Rickabaugh and J.P. Moreland —Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1394195486
- Who Are You, Really? A Philosopher’s Inquiry into the Nature and Origin of Persons — by Joshua Rasmussen https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1514003945/
Philosophy of Mind: Computationalism || Artificial Intelligence
- Artificial Intelligence And Magical Thinking https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2019/03/artificial-intelligence-and-magical.html
- The Absurdity of Mind as Machine –by David Bentley Hart https://iai.tv/articles/the-absurdity-of-mind-as-machine-david-bentley-hart-auid-2479
- Kripke Contra Computationalism https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2012/05/kripke-contra-computationalism.html
- Popper Contra Computationalism https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2012/02/popper-contra-computationalism.html
- Can Machines Beg The Question? https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2013/10/can-machines-beg-question.html
- Computers, Minds, And Aristotle https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2009/01/computers-minds-and-aristotle.html
- Intentionality, Mental States, Searle, Networks, and Causal Backgrounds https://metachristianity.blogspot.com/2020/01/intentionality-mental-states-searle.html
- Against Neurobabble – at https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2011/01/against-neurobabble.html
- Aquinas, Vanilla Sky, And Nozick’s Experience Machine https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2016/02/aquinas-vanilla-sky-and-nozicks.html
- Stop It, You’re Killing Me! https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2014/03/stop-it-youre-killing-me.html
- Materialism Subverts Itself https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2019/01/materialism-subverts-itself.html
- Accept No Imitations https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2015/02/accept-no-imitations.html
- Reading Rosenberg, Part VIII https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2012/03/reading-rosenberg-part-viii.html
- Reading Rosenberg, Part IX https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2012/04/reading-rosenberg-part-ix.html
- Stoljar On Intentionality https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2010/06/stoljar-on-intentionality.html
- Mind-Body Problem Roundup https://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2011/05/mind-body-problem-roundup.html
Philosophy of Mind & Segues:
- The Illusionist ~ On Daniel Dennett’s From Bacteria to Bach and Back ~The Evolution of Minds ~ By David Bentley Hart https://metachristianity.com/the-illusionist-on-daniel-dennetts-from-bacteria-to-bach-and-back-the-evolution-of-minds-by-david-bentley-hart/
- Creation Ex Nihilo, The Principle Of Proportionate Causality, Seamelessness In Being From Pure Act To The Contingent And From I Am To Imago Dei https://metachristianity.com/creation-ex-nihilo-the-principle-of-proportionate-causality-seamelessness-in-being-from-pure-act-to-the-contingent-and-from-i-am-to-imago-dei/
- 1 of 2 ~ Properly Understanding Properly Basic Beliefs – at https://www.reasonablefaith.org/writings/question-answer/properly-understanding-properly-basic-beliefs/
- 2 of 2 ~ Indefeasible Inner Witness, Holy Spirit, Properly Basic Belief, Solipsism, Idealism, Eliminativism, And Absolute Consciousness at https://metachristianity.com/indefeasible-inner-witness-holy-spirit-properly-basic-belief-solipsism-idealism-eliminativism-absolute-consciousness/
- Science And Theology: Where The Consonance Really Lies by David Bentley Hart at https://metachristianity.com/science-and-theology-where-the-consonance-really-lies-by-david-bentley-hart/
- Plan for a Book on the Science of Mind – by David Bentley Hart https://churchlifejournal.nd.edu/articles/plan-for-a-book-on-the-science-of-mind
- Neuroscience Disappears When the Complex Whole Is Decomposed –by Patrick McNamara https://churchlifejournal.nd.edu/articles/reducationism-isnt-good-neuroscience/
- The Spiritual Was More Substantial Than the Material for the Ancients – by David Bentley Hart https://churchlifejournal.nd.edu/articles/the-spiritual-was-more-substantial-than-the-material-for-the-ancients/
- The Phenomenology of Christ in Flesh and Bones – by Emmanuel Falque https://churchlifejournal.nd.edu/articles/christ-in-the-flesh-and-bone/
- Realism vis-à-vis Meta-Narrative & Two Smart Guys (…several twitter threads…) https://metachristianity.blogspot.com/2020/01/comments-wrt-realism-vis-vis-meta.html
A Few Observations:
The following is from The Substance of Consciousness: A Comprehensive Defense of Contemporary Substance Dualism ~https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1394195486
“I think that substance dualism (in its epiphenomenalist and interactionist forms) and Russellian monism (in its panpsychist and panprotopsychist forms) are the two serious contenders in the metaphysics of consciousness, at least once one has given up on standard physicalism. (I divide my own credence fairly equally between them)…”
“…That a leading philosopher of mind would consider substance dualism among the two serious contenders would be unthinkable in the early 20th century. And as we will argue in a moment, specific panpsychist commitments make resisting substance dualism very difficult….”
Thinking It Through:
Irreducibility/Ontological/Metaphysical? Where is any such Irreducible Hard Stop of I/I AM/I Speak/I See/I Perceive?
The Hard Problem Of Consciousness JUST IS the Problem of Metaphysical Naturalism’s Necessary Conservation of [No-I-AM] Hard-Stop in/at/of Reality’s own Hard Stop — the problem of the illusory — of ultimate equivocation before reaching rock-bottom. After all the Hard Stop of [I-AM] would just be, well, Theism.
Therein we arrive, always, sooner or later, at the following:
Reason from Non-Reason just is Being from Non-Being
Those are the same thing.
The same Reductio Ad Absurdum.
Because: Principle of Proportionate Causality
The Hard Problem of Consciousness? Same thing. Same Reductio. Being from Non-Being.
Thereby we find that those willing to trade away lucidity/closure for absurdity/round-squares cling blindly to Non-Theism. Those unwilling to make the trade simply follow-through on sight to Unity/Singularity/Closure.
Theism is unavoidable. Because Logic/Being.
Equivocation & Reductio all…the…way…down… (Non-Theism) and that cashes out as…Non-Being.
But Non-Being isn’t an available option.
Once we arrive inside Theism? Well, the options are few as Absolute Consciousness, Logic, Being, Reciprocity, and more press in upon all semantic content and syllogistic structure.
Lastly The Following:
With some intended levity perhaps we can say something like the following:
The aforementioned items amount to basic physics and basic philosophy of mind. It’s basic Churchland, Carroll, Rosenberg, Harris, Dennett, and so on. There’s no need to blame God for the problems of incoherence and eliminativism’s fateful Cliff or Edge over which Reason Itself inevitably plummets. The Non-Theist wants his Flat-Earth and, so, he has it https://metachristianity.com/define-atheism/ After all, no one is forced to trade away lucidity in exchange for absurdity. There’s just no reason to ever make any such trade.